Alyssa - Sandy Hook, Connecticut

Most of my classmates know me as the shy, quiet girl who laughs and nods politely and never says anything in class. However, when with close friends and family, my personality changes a bit. This is what I believe: being a smart-ass can be a good thing. Pardon my French.

It’s true, though. For those of you who may not know what a smart-ass is, a smart-ass is someone who makes sarcastic comments to joke around with someone. These sarcastic comments often make people laugh, as long as they are not mean. I believe that being a smart-ass provides much needed laughter in our society. It keeps us sane and happy.

Even stupid sarcastic comments can bring a smile to someone’s face. I often make such stupid comments. One such instance happened a few years ago. My brothers, mom, and I were in the car, talking about different ways for a guy to propose to a girl. Someone mentioned the idea of putting the ring in the food to be found during the meal. Then my mom asked, “What if she doesn’t see it and eats it?” Not very probable, but it went silent for a moment before I said, not thinking, “Well, then I guess you’re in deep crap.” That made everyone in the car laugh. I don’t know why; it was kind of a stupid comment. The point is that I made them laugh. If such stupid comments could always make everyone laugh, then maybe I would let my tongue loose more often.

Even with all of the unsaid comments in my head, I’m not nearly as good at thinking up fast and funny smart-ass remarks as most of my family. My grandma, or Gram, as we call her, is the queen of smart-ass comments or sayings. She is a source of constant amusement for my entire family, and she knows it. She enjoys shocking people and making people laugh. If any of her grandkids don’t hear her say something and respond with only, “Huh?” she’ll fire back with, “Huh, hell, pay attention.” If anyone says, “Hey” for any reason, she again fires back with “Hey is for horses and jackasses like you.” I feel so loved. Don’t worry, though, I am not being verbally abused at home. I love my Gram, and I just laugh whenever she says something like that. Gram has so many sayings that my brothers and I have decided that she needs to write a book.

I hope some of these stories have made at least someone laugh, no matter how stupid they were. That is all I want to do. I believe laughter is the only way to stay sane in such a busy and high-stress society. So next time an adult gets mad at you for being a smart-ass, just say that you are benefiting modern society. That’s sure to get you off the hook.