John - Fairfield, Connecticut
Themes: carpe diem, work

Pick Your Head Up 5/20/07

By JJ Duke

I believe that people have to overcome daily obstacles in their life, and for that they can continue onwards in their journey of living on earth. Some say that others were born evil and angry at themselves and other people. Well I believe that overcoming these obstacles will make you happier, on the inside and to other people. With this good karma spreading to others can make this world a happier and stronger place.

That is why I believe in picking your head up.

I believe that if look beyond mistakes you make then the life that you live won’t always be so full of negativity. I have seen people on teams that I play on always down on themselves, always looking at the bad parts of games that they have played just because they struck out twice at the plate and ignoring the fact that they played flawless defense and had a big two run single that gave us the lead.

Or in a class at school, I see that a kid who is a straight-A student who got a B on a quiz. They react to this by complaining to the teacher how they got marked off for non-existing mistake the teacher made when they graded their quiz or otherwise just moaning and pouting at their desk and not talking to anybody.

There is too much negativity spreaders in this world that nobody can actually have a moment of joy and happiness. So I believe in picking your head up and looking at the positives. When I was younger, at the age of where I could have made the team that can try to qualify for the Little League World Series. But one day after tryouts were over, the head coach personally cam to my house to tell me I was cut because he told other kids that didn’t show up to tryouts they had a spot on the team already. I was stunned and upset at this I didn’t know if I wanted to quit baseball or not. But I picked up my head and had fun playing with the B squad for my age group and continued playing a game I love, and hey that team that I got cut from, they didn’t make it past the area qualifying tournament.

I believe in picking your head up. I believe that picking your head up will make you so much happier. You will brush away the negativity that surrounds your life and look at the positive things that go on in your lifetime. You want to be happy because then you can spread bad mood waves to others. Do you really want to live in a world that the people are always grumpy and upset and always are negative about everything? I would rather life a life full of positive energy and happiness.

That is why I pick my head up when times are rough, to give myself a happier life.