Sean - Saco, Maine

Many English teachers, college professors and SAT questions want you to use this. No it is not your brain! It is something of little significance. It can be used as a smoke screen to create a mirage so it appears that one is perspicacious. I believe that a large vocabulary is conclusively supererogatory and pointless.

I believe that using a large vocabulary is pointless because if society wasn’t feeding us this bologna that everyone needs know a large amount of words to survive in the “real” world. Some people will say that you will not know how to read some of the great books if you do not have a wide knowledge of vocabulary words, and they right, but why can’t books write so everyone with a third grade education can read them, and just have the reading level be based on the appropriateness of the novel. If everyone writer and person stopped using annoying, unnecessary vocabulary then nothing would be lost.

When you think about the only purpose of a knowledgeable vocabulary is to sound smart. But who is to say that people who talk with words that not everyone can understand is smart? Smart shouldn’t be based on how many different ways you can say the book you read was “big”. A smart sounding person should be one who just tells people they read a big book, and the people comprehend what is going on.

I have come to the realization that a big vocabulary will not truly help you in life. Some use big words in an attempt to prove they are smart. Many politicians will use large words to avoid answering a question directly. Others use a wide vocabulary because they had to learn what the words meant for school and thought why waste this kind of knowledge. Knowing a great amount of words will not help you become a kinder person. Using “antidisestablishmentarianism” in a sentence doesn’t make you wiser or a better leader, it just means that you could remember the meaning of it. Thus I believe that all of us should only speak using words we know and that everyone can understand.