Theresa - Sedona, Arizona

I believe that God is not prejudiced. I believe that humanity is the table trying to comprehend the carpenter. From the dawn of time man has grappled with the existence of existence, wincing from the “bumps our understanding has gotten, running itself up against the limits of language.”1

Human history has offered up an endless parade of saints, savants, sages and savages. Some claiming to know, some claiming to merely understand. After millenia of fervered search, our scientific investigations and ecstatic religious epiphanies, what do we have to show for all of our efforts? We know that we have always sought the source of our selves, propelled by some innate need to know how existence began and what our relationship to it is, coupled with the belief that some conscious power must be.

Here we are. Over the ages humanity has covered the globe and developed cosmological explanations as varied as itself. Herein lies the irony though: as varied as those belief systems are they are more alike than different. I.e. upon closer investigation it is revealed that while they may vary greatly in the cultural trappings, when it comes to the basic ethic, they are all pretty much the same. Everyone agrees that murder is bad, e.g.

I believe that it is the whole of human cosmology, pieced together like a quilt that begins to make sense of existence. Which returns me to my initial assertion: God is not prejudiced. God does not care which part of the quilt you come from, only that you contribute to the quilt and do not tear apart from it. Ripped from the whole, any beautiful fabric is just a scrap.

But this is not the belief I wanted to talk about. It was necessary ground-work.

I believe that George Bush is to Christianity as Osama bin Laden is to Islam. Both of them are tearing at the quilt of humanity. Al Qaeda is routinely criticized as being an extremist corruption of the teachings of Mohammed. I believe the ultra-right Republican Christians are an equally extreme corruption of the teachings of Christ.

For it is written: “If your enemy hungers, feed him. If he thirsts, give him a cool drink. If his is cold, give him a warm blanket. For revenge is mine, sayeth the Lord.”

Romans Chapter 12, verse 9

This most beautiful fragment of celestial cloth is now nothing more than an oiled rag, having been ripped from the quilt of humanity by George Bush. And for what? So he and his favorite 10 cronies can amass 90% of the world’s wealth.

1. Ludwig Wittgenstein Philosophical Investigations