Megan - Collierville, Tennessee
Themes: birth, morality

Growing up with a mom who brings babies into the world as a job, you learn things an average person would never know, and you hear stories you could have lived your whole life much happier without knowing.

She comes home stressed from work, each day saying, “I had the worst day ever.” She then goes on to tell how busy the hospital was and what kind of things went wrong in some of the deliveries. This may seem bad enough, but then she tells us all about the drama among the co-workers, just like E.R. there is something new each episode.

But then there are days when my mom comes home silent, with an empty look in her eyes. She remains on the couch staring at the television absentmindedly, as if she isn’t really watching. After awhile, she finally spills the story. She unfolds the dreadful tale of how something went terribly wrong in the hospital room and how they weren’t able to save the baby, and in some cases, even the mother. Cheeks drenched with tears, she tells us how hopeless she felt, and how she desperately wished she could have done something more. But this was an accident, nature’s mysterious path in life.

Abortion has caused debate for years, but no real answer has come out of this. The question is, what’s right and what’s wrong? This question runs deep in a person and is eventually answered by the person’s beliefs. Like with religion, society is unsure of what the truth is. There are certain religions that know without a doubt in their mind that they follow the ‘correct’ beliefs. But where in any of these religions does it say it’s ok to take another’s life for your benefit? Most followers are all about helping others, but I don’t see where abortion fits in. If you make a mistake, you should own up to it. After all, everything happens for a reason right?

Most women who choose to have an abortion say, “It’s for the baby’s sake.” But according to Pro-Choice, ninety-five percent of abortions are done as a means of birth control. Only one percent are done because of rape, and only one percent are done because of fetal abnormalities. the remaining three percent are done due to the mother’s health problems. So the mothers in the ninety-five percent category are saying they are doing it for the baby, but the only way they could know this is if they waited until the child was old enough to reason and asked them if they wanted to die. Why would you ask such a question?

Couples unable to have a baby wait years for praying for a healthy child to become available. If only that one mother would have made a different choice, then maybe this couple wouldn’t have to live in such despair each and every day.

That one child who brought so many memories and years of happiness to others was a result of only nine months from the mother. Nine months compared to a lifetime. It seems almost silly. Yet, women across our country continue with their selfish ways.

Mothers today are given the right to be able to drop their newborn at the hospital without any strings attached. Again, it seems almost silly why someone would stop a beating heart. We can’t prevent fate, but abortion is a choice. My vote is for life.