Allison - Wheaton, Illinois

This I believe in collecting Beanie Babies. To remind you of how everything use to be.

Once I was born, I was the only grandchild on both sides. It was very exciting for my family, especially my Nana. My Nana lives all the way in Kentucky. It has been a tradition since I was born to visit her and the rest of my family down there every summer. I loved the feeling of coming down the Kentucky airport escalator to meet her. She would have tears of joy, and never would she come without surprises. My Nana would always find Beanie Babies for me. Over the years I collected tons from her. It became a tradition to see which one she had for me every year. As I got older the Beanie Babies trend faded, same with my Nana’s memory. Once my Nana’s mother died, she was never the same. My family and I became very worried. A few years later my Nana was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, in 2003. All traditions were at an end. My Nana didn’t pick us up from the airport anymore, because she is not allowed to drive. She use to be the biggest worry wart, and call our house mostly everyday to see how everything is, but now we never receive a call. Her excitement of us coming to Kentucky died down. She seems alive though when we visit her; as she dances, sings, and laughs. Everyone goes along with her games, but you can still see the pain in their eyes. Being so far away from her is hard, especially for my mom. I know she wants to help out her sister’s by taking care of her mother. I wish we could see her all the time. I don’t ever want to see the summer when she doesn’t remember me. All my cousins are so young, and don’t quite understand the disease. They will never get to know Nana they way I did. Or they also don’t have boxes of Beanie Babies from her either. This I believe these beanies babies are a memory of my Nana. So I can always remember the times we use to share.