Maria - Yarmouthport, Massachusetts
Themes: question

I believe in never fully believing anything. When you say that you believe in something, such as no one has the right to take another person’s life, there is always an exception. There is always a critic who says, “What if it is in self defense?” If you say that you believe in miracles, there is always the possibility of another explanation to describe an event that was supposed to be a ‘miracle.’ Like if you just happened to come across a twenty dollar bill on the ground, just enough to buy you that new CD you wanted so much. Or if you happened to escape from a burning building just as it collapsed in on itself. Or if your stubborn little brother finally admits that you were right and he was wrong. A possible miracle, or perhaps just coincidence.

All my life, I have tried to search for some fact in life to stick by. I once tried to believe that war was a terrible thing, a thing that only tore away the lives of so many that didn’t deserve to die. But then, I realized that sometimes, it might be the only way to protect something you love. I once tried to believe that anything is possible, but then I though, ‘is it possible for a person to suddenly sprout wings on their back, or to breath in space without any gear helping them?’ I once tried to believe that people should never have the right to someone else’s mind; the mind is the only place of true privacy one can have and no one should take that privacy away. And yet, wouldn’t something like mind reading help in crime investigations? In discerning if a person is lying, or where a kidnapped child is being held? Actually, I believe that there is no such thing as the ability to mind read, but does that mean that there is no possible way that it could exist?

Now, I know that this essay is basically filled with a long list of unanswered questions, but I believe that to never question is to never find an answer. If you do happen to find your own answers, to these questions or any others, then stick by them. But also, keep your mind open to the fact that there is most likely going to be some exception.