Brittany - Orem, Utah

Reading and Life

I’m soaring. I rise higher and higher. Then my thoughts are suddenly jerked back to my immediate surroundings by some minuscule noise. I think back to the scene that was playing in my head and sigh.

This image is the creation of the many lines that form words on the page of my book. I believe in reading and the lessons that can be taught by the swirling images, that are created by the words contained between the two covers of a book. This is a firm belief, and was formed how many such beliefs are; by not existing in the first place.

I remember a time when reading was something my mom made me do before I went to bed. That was the worst time of the day for me. It was thirty minutes that stretched into the eternities; each second seemed an hour. My eyes were constantly finding themselves looking at the view just beyond a pane of glass. Then, with four words, that all changed; the Cam Jansen series.

This series revolutionized my reading world. Something about it made everything click. Words were melting to form characters, a plot, and the solutions to problems. This is where my official love of reading took off and I haven’t stopped since.

That day a new door arose in my life. It was the door to a new world of expansion and growth formed by any book that fell into my eager hands. Each book created another part of my new world.

In my world there were many characters, plots, problems, and solutions. These parts of my world made a bridge to the one I lived. Across this bridge oozed all the lessons learned by the characters of my world. They have given more depth to my surroundings and the people in them.

I now compare people and their problems to those of my invisible world. I look for similarities, and if I find any, I apply them. With this process I have found that I can understand people, their problems, their actions, and the effects of such actions better. I see aspects of these things better than other people. This is because of another gift reading has bestowed upon me.

This is the gift of creativity. My creativity expands my view. I am able to take several extravagant routes and come to a reasonable conclusion. This is a key reason I can understand people well, because people don’t always think like they do. It allows me to better understand their reasoning.

Creativity also helps me to see life differently. I am able to see through the eyes of many different people’s experiences. When I analyze situations I see paths heading in many different directions. Each of these paths represents possibilities to an answer. Each situation is different in the number of paths it has.

In reading create additional paths because of all the new concepts that are presented to me. I take these concepts, my creativity, and the teachings from my world and combine them with reality. This is why I believe in reading. I believe that reading is essential to the expansion of your understanding and the way you view the world.