Sabrina - Seymour, Connecticut

Few students actually enjoy history class. I wil admit that I have fallen asleep more than once in class and when trying to read the book. Yes, the Spanish American War may not be the most fascinating subject, there is still something to be gained besides knowing dates and dead white guys. Students today don’t seem to appreciated their history. Our ancestor, grandparents, and even our parents strugglred to make the world we live in a better place and most young people don’t realize that.

If not for the founding fathers, I would not be able to live in a country that values my freedom. (U.S.A!, U.S.A.) If not for the women’s rights activists, I wouldn’t be able to vote. If not for the people who fought for equal rights, I I would not be going to the school I go to now. Because of segregation I would be in a nonwhite school without the materials I really need and poor quality books and other school supplies. I would have to use colored only restrooms and tryingh to excersize my right to vote could be life threatening. If not for the feminist movement the only thing expected of me would be to marry young, have children, and cook. If I did work it would be for lower quality jobs and much less pay. (Basically it would really, really suck, really.) If nor for the people who were willing to try, we wouldn’t have all the technological advances we have today. No telephone, cell phone, T.V. and (God help us) no computers.

Not only do we gain appreciaton, but with that appreciation we gain a sense of obligation and understanding. I don’t want to sit at home on the coach instead of voting because it doesn’t seem that important, when people fought so hard just so I can (and because my couch really isn’t that comfy) I know why my grandma is so proud that I’m close to graduating high school and go to college. She never had the oppurtunity. What won’t understand was my mother’s god awful prom dress. (the 80’s must have been something)

So, yes, from the Civil War to the 1930’s there isn’t anything really interesting going on in American History (believe me, seven chapters of nothingness), but there is still a point. Knowing your history helps you appreciate the life you have now and the people who made it so. I don’t want the efforts of past generations to be wasted, no matter how many sleep inducing chapters I have to read. This I believe.