Jess - Seymour, Connecticut

In eighth grade I did a science project in which I put on a “gothic” outfit, and observed people’s reactions. In the store Hot Topic, no one even flinched. When I walked into Baby Gap, two kids ran away screaming. People have a funny way of looking at each other; but it’s weird, because we’re all different in our own way. I think every single person in the world has something that they are good at. It just takes time to find that talent.

Within each of us a seed is planted at birth. That seed grows through exploration and rebellion. It has been the source of many countries’ freedoms and revolutions. The seed is independence with individuality.

As we grow through adolescence, our minds become more open and free. We have more choices in life and see that our guardians no longer have complete control, whether they like it or not. Teenagers go to parties, get tattoos, piercings, and experiment with new things throughout high school. Those are all signs of the seed growing, but still not fully flourished. We realize finally that we are individuals that don’t have someone to watch over us. At 18, most kids move out of their parent’s house. This is when the bird flies the coop, and seriously gains independence. My sister “flew the coop,” but she only went fifteen minutes away; I think she’s kind of scared of her seed growing.

I, however, am completely opposite of my sister, and choose to manipulate the privilege God gave me. I choose to do things my parents don’t approve of; not neccessarily immoral, just things that they weren’t raised with, so they see them as different or weird. To me, it just feels like something that either expresses myself or it feels right. For example, why is it so strange for a male to wear a skirt? Just because you’ve never seen something before, that doesn’t make it weird. Why can’t boys have long hair and girls have short? It’s simply because its tradition. Well, personally, I like to break tradition, because I am an individual. I don’t usually follow trends or the crowd. It’s not like I purposely try to act differently, I just have an opinion and like what I like. If that happens to be what the crowd likes, I’m not suddenly going to dislike it. But mostly, FI choose things different from my peers. What do I care? As long as I’m doing something that pleases me, that’s all I want.

Famous people from history are like me. Our country wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for that little seed that’s in all of us. Many countries have gained independence by breaking away from their former leaders. They didn’t like the way they ran things, so they either overthrew the leader or left. All of us contain the seed within us; some people just want it to grow more. Maybe we all aren’t getting away from the same thing, but we all are trying to get away. With individuality, some people enjoy just following the crowd, while others strive for separation. Both individuality and independence have helped shape our country to what it is today.