Kara - Seymour, Connecticut

Saint Thomas Aquinas once said “There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship.” Friends are those people in your life that provide support, lend advice, laugh with you, cry with you, and know you better than you know yourself. I believe in the type of friends that become family.

I’ve discovered that the expression, quality not quantity, applies to almost every situation in life, including friendships. Many people measure their success by the amount of friends they have; however, I believe it is not the number of friends you have but the relationships you have with them. I have never been popular. I have a great group of friends that know and accept me for who I am. I do not have to change my personality or feel like I need to be cooler to fit in with them, most of the time we are all pretty much dorks anyways. I have tried to become more popular and I always ended up being disappointed because I wasn’t being myself. I have even fallen into quite a few troubling situations by changing the person I am and what I believe in. I had forgotten that all you need in life is a few great friends that will always be there.

Friendship is irreplaceable. It exists across the world, at every age, and is experienced by most. I am blessed to have people in my life that care about me and the person I will become. My friends have become family. We are the type of friends that can tell each other anything and everything. We share our experiences, problems, and thoughts in assurance that we will be comforted, assisted, and appreciated. I realize that in a year we will part and go onto bigger and better things, however, the bonds and relationships we have formed will not be forgotten nor destroyed. True, valuable friendship overcomes hardship, distance, and dissension. I have learned the meaning of friendship through my family.

Paul Pearshall states, “Our most basic instinct is not for survival but for family. Most of us would give our own life for the survival of a family member, yet we lead our daily life too often as if we take our family for granted.” The relationships I have formed with my family members have shaped me as a person. My family has taught me how to be strong, forgiving, reliable, nurturing, and respectable. My two sisters have become my best friends. Although we are growing older and will eventually lead completely separate lives, I know that we will always be there for one another.

Friends are the key to happiness and success. What good are life’s milestones and miracles if you have no one to share them with? There are many things people believe in but I believe friendships are the most important things in life. I believe that a life without friendship is dim. Helen Keller expresses the impact that friendship has on a person with the statement, “It is that my friends have made the story of my life. In a thousand ways they have turned my limitations into beautiful privileges, and enabled me to walk serene and happy in the shadow cast by my deprivation.” Friends illuminate life and I would not be the same person without the relationships I have formed with the people that mean the most to me. The best friends become your family.