David - Seymour, Connecticut

I believe that obesity is taking over the U.S. The U.S. has one of the highest overweight populations in the world. Just by walking down the halls of my school, you see some students that are overweight. This is even occurring at younger ages. Last month I participated in the Read Across America program and a group of us high school students went to a nearby elementary school. Right when I walked in, I noticed a few kids that were dealing with some weight problems. They were a little overweight and slightly larger than their peers standing next to them. This was going to be a big problem in the future. Schools are just some of the few places where there are overweight people. This is even occurring at younger ages.

Every time I go to a fast food restaurant there are always people that you can tell are overweight. And still they sit there and eat all this fatty food. They know that this food is bad for them, but when you’re hungry you just don’t really care. The fast food places are not making it any easier on the people. When I went to McDonalds a few weeks ago, I didn’t notice any nutritional information on the wall. They don’t tell you how many calories each food item is or any of its nutritional factors. In fact, many fast food places don’t have this information. I haven’t seen any of the nutrition information in places like Burger King, TGIF, or Wendy’s. This shows you that some people just don’t care about the growing population of overweight people.

This unhealthy lifestyle of fast food and junk food is common to many. Many people are too busy to cook a healthy home meal. So they jump into their car and go through the drive through window of fast food places. Work is too important and people don’t have enough time during a day to eat healthy. Some of my dads friends are a little overweight because in the morning they don’t have enough time and they have to get quick and easy food. However, this food usually turns out to be really fatty and has a lot of calories. Over time this is going to effect them greatly, they will have a hard time breathing and have high cholesterol.

People from other countries have more controlled and handled weight problem. Last Summer I went to China. And one of the first things I noticed was that almost everybody here was in shape. As I walk down the streets everybody was skinny and even the little kids seemed healthy and not overweight. In fact, during the few weeks I spent in china, I’ve only seen a few people that were over weight. And of course I sort of stuck out there. Compared to every one else I was considered fat. I’m a little over weight, but in China I was sort of big compared to everyone else. It was awkward walking around people that were completely skinny and thin. That was one of the biggest differences between our two countries. Most people were thin, although I thought that was really weird, because everyone looked like too skinny.

I’m not saying everyone needs to be a certain size, but everyone should try to eat healthier. People should have a healthier lifestyle and exercise more. Fast food places can also start giving customers more nutritional food choices. Our generations and the next one will have to deal with these problems sooner or later, so why not sooner, and solve these problem. And soon we could bring our country back down to the least overweight country in the world.