Peter - Seymour, Connecticut
Themes: sports

Over the years I have developed a love for sports. I’ve been playing sports my entire life. Any sport I could play, I tried. My admiration for sports started with my father. He had always promoted athleticism and sportsmanship. As far as I could remember I loved the sports enjoyed the most, until I found my favorite sport, soccer. I believe in soccer.

Soccer is a sport that uses all of my abilities. I need to utilize speed, agility, power, aggression, concentration, technique, and pure instinct. I am tested in every possible way to reach my goal, and that is to keep the other team from reaching theirs because I am a goalkeeper, I’ve never known anything else; it’s all I know how to do. Soccer has been great to me and now it finally seems my hard work is paying off, I practice every day, work hard every day, and wait to be tested by a decent team.

Some teams we play are just awful and I end up standing in the goal for the entire game. But when we finally play a real team, I am prepared. I have practiced making all my saves, I have nearly mastered my diving techniques and every other type of blocking technique there is. My favorite feeling during a game comes right after making a big save or just a great save. To me that is one of the best feelings in the world. I have all my teammates and fans commend me and show me how much I am able to help them out. Even to have rival teams and coaches congratulate me on an excellent game or save makes me feel even better. This is where my love of the game comes from.

But while soccer gives me one of the best feelings, it also brings one of the worst. When a goal is scored against me, even though most of the time I know it’s not my fault, I still feel responsible. I guess the two feelings balance each other out, and I usually have more saves than goals allowed, so the good outweighs the bad. The good has shown to be even greater recently with many of my accomplishments. When I found out that I was the All-Conference goalkeeper and player of the year for my team, the great feeling just intensified.

My hard work and dedication have made soccer a more successful part of my life than I would ever have thought. Soccer is opening new doors to me that I have never had before, colleges are starting to look at me and I may have the opportunity to continue my soccer career in college. I have become a better athlete because of soccer and soccer has changed me. Soccer has taught me many lessons like the value of practice, hard work, teamwork, dedication, and leadership. Soccer gives me one of the best feelings ever. This is why I believe in Soccer.