Melissa - Orem, Utah

Every morning I wake up singing.

Some mornings I sing “What a Wonderful World”; other times its “Nobody Likes Me, Everybody Hates Me.” I go to school with a song in my head. In math the Death March sounds. When I ace a test a choir of angels break into the Hallelujah Chorus. Every time I see my crush I sing a giddy song of joy. Whatever the situation I face it with a song because I believe in singing.

Singing can get me through just about any situation, from dealing with siblings to friends and beyond. It got me through my Grandpa’s funeral. His death came very unexpectedly and sent me reeling into shock. The facts didn’t sink in until I sat by family and saw my Grandma sitting all alone. My heart was breaking until we sang the song “Be Still My Soul.” The comforting words and simple melody gathered up the hurt, and sent it floating away.

Singing gets me through homework. It seems to dust away the many cobwebs in my head, leaving space to think clearly. My family knows to clear the room when I do math homework because I screech long and loud about how horribly unjust homework is. English homework elicits a different sort of song. It has an operatic style with many refrains about how I will never again go to English class let alone do homework for it. I could sing my Civil War song from history but I don’t think anyone’s ears are prepared for that number.

But I didn’t just wake up one morning singing. I got my love of music from my parents. My dad taught me that there is truly a song for every occasion. And if it happens that there isn’t song, make a one up and then there is one.

I believe there is a song for every occasion, and song for every emotion. I believe in singing because by singing I get closer to my family, friends, and God. When I sing, all my problems become unimportant. They float away like a song in the wind.