Jason - Orem, Utah

When Superman came to Earth he was super strong, he could run bullet fast, and he could fly at the speed of light. People remember the story of Superman as one of heroic deeds, selfless acts, and God given mercy on our planet. But we forget he is not invincible. I believe in Superman. I really do.

I also believe everyone is prepackaged in every way. We are all fundamentally different. We, as people, differ in talents, preferences, tendencies, but most importantly, personal strengths and weaknesses.

Superman, before he was created, was going to be so powerful and so capable that Joe Schuster and Jerry Siegel had to create villains scary enough to challenge him. Just 15 years ago, the writers of let Superman die of exhaustion after defeating the scariest monster yet to come to Earth. Now in comparing people to Superman again, we all have certain weaknesses that can kill us if we are not careful. Supermen died from weakness, but remember he fought through it and made it back to life. If he did that, what does it mean for me?

While I was in junior high school, I developed a certain anxiety triggered depression. One day I completely shut down emotionally. I know now I did this so I couldn’t feel hurt. I remember walking through the halls of the school but it is as if my heart was functioning in black and white. I don’t remember love, joy, hurt, pain… nothing. As my parents made me talk about it with them they told me that I was killing part of who I was, which was true. I was the top of my class and getting F’s. I wasn’t functioning right socially.

I only say this because I am writing this as a high school English assignment at three o’clock in the morning (because it is due tomorrow). I’m almost a senior and I still have problems with my study skills. This is my weakness. No matter how ridiculous this sounds, shutting off my emotions is my kryptonite.

I feel there is so much more I could do with my life if I just had the focus to be responsible and trust worthy. I wouldn’t stress myself over school. I wouldn’t become anxious and have an episode. I wouldn’t take myself out of the game of life. And I wouldn’t have to be typing papers in God-forsaken hours of the morning.

Even though I’m only a kid, I know I’m not the only one with an imperfect life. Everyone faces their own trials. And this I believe is the one thing that unifies us as human beings. When Superman died that year, he was just a lump of organic mass on a hospital bed. When I shut off my emotions, I can’t hardly function; I’m on auto pilot. Which of us is better? Neither of us is contributing to the world. Neither of us is happy. The only hope is to remember: Superman pulled through it.