Arend - Beavercreek, Ohio

I believe in childhood. A time when I didn’t know the word tired and had never heard of fatigued. The days were long and the nights were short. I had endless energy. I did not wake up sore. I knew it was night when I fell asleep. I was like a toy, either on or off. Running, jumping, playing these were the only verbs I knew. I was not a slave of the government attending class, only living between the bells. I would run when my mother called, she was the only girl for me. My worries were a scraped knee, a twisted ankle. I did not have tests. The closest thing to a job I had was playing doctor. It seems like my friends were always there, I never had to squeeze them into the busy schedule life has crammed me into. This was a time when cold doesn’t mean I have to scrape the window to my car, only that maybe it will snow so that I may get the chance to go sledding. Getting a letter in the mail meant grandma was coming to visit, not that you were late on you car payment. I believe in this time because crying didn’t make you seem weak, it only meant mommy would everything all better. This is a part of your life that you will always hold onto. This is the part to your life that shapes what you become. The saddest part of your day would be that you accidentally ran over a worm with your bike, not that your pay is being deducted. A busy day might be playing kickball and a game of soccer, not having to juggle school, a job, and going to the bank so that your mortgage doesn’t expire. The biggest worry on your mind is what you want for your birthday, the thought of paying for insurance never crosses your mind. I believe in innocence. A bad guy was called a villain, not a terrorist. I believe this is the one time that we can all look back on, and no matter how bleak, no matter how depressing the rest of your life has been that at least this was a time where you had hope, a time where you had dreams. This is what I believe.