Embrace The Suck

Kyle - Orangevale, California

Embrace the suck. When you want to quit: Embrace the suck. When you just can’t go on any longer: Embrace the Suck. When life seems to have taken its toll on you: Embrace the suck. This I believe.

Embracing the suck is a phrase that has developed within my family. When enduring hardship in life, people tend to shut down. They cry, they yell, they break down. When embracing the suck, you endure this hardship. But not only endure, it you embrace it. This moment doesn’t happen all the time. But every time it does, you become stronger. And when you don’t fight it, but instead you hold it close, you grow. You grow from this experience. This problem or event that once hurt you has now become a part of you. It is no longer something that affected you, but is now one of the many things that shape you. So I ask you all to embrace the suck. Because when things get tough, it might be the only way out alive.

I’ve learned how to embrace the suck, and so has my dad, and so has my sister. And my mom has especially. She has embraced it for eight months. And when she went to the doctors because of stomach problems and was diagnosed with cancer, she learned to embrace the suck. And when she started radiation and chemotherapy, she learned to embrace the suck. And when she went into surgery to have the cancerous tumor removed, she learned to embrace the suck.

When she continued to be infused with chemo-radiation, she learned to embrace the suck. And when she slowly began to lose her hair, she learned to embrace the suck. And every time she touched something cold, she felt as if shards of glass were penetrating her skin, she learned to embrace the suck. She has endured this all with minimal complaints. But nonetheless, she has done it. And no one can take that away from her.

And now in June 9, 2007, she will be at Relay for Life doing the survivor lap. She’s a survivor. She did it. And the whole time, she embraced the suck.

If someone can go through so much, and a simple phrase can push them beyond, then I believe. So that is why I believe to embrace the suck.