Carolyn - Edina, Minnesota

Throughout my life, I’ve had my fair share of sibling fights. I have two younger sisters, and it’s hard being the oldest. My mom is always saying that when we’re older we’ll be best friends. I’m looking forward to that. Being the oldest, I have to set a good example and I believe that family should stick together, and love each other.

One of my sisters comes in to my room every night and talks with me about her problems at school. That’s a great reward; I want to be a huge part of my sisters’ lives. I want them to ask me for advice and want me to be around. Pretty soon my parents are going to make me share a room with my ten-year-old sister. This bothers me a little bit, but I have to admit that I’m not that angry about it. This will give me an opportunity to get to know her better.

As I mentioned before I have two sisters, my youngest sister had a brain tumor. This affects the way she behaves. Most of the time she’s violent and mean. It’s not her fault that she acts this way, and sometimes I forget that. Sometimes she gets mad at me, for no particular reason, and starts attacking me. She starts yelling, screaming, hitting, spitting. It’s not like a normal sibling fight; she doesn’t understand that I’m being hurt too. Her emotions are magnified. I have to admit that a few times I’ve fought back, but I’ve begun to realize that I can’t. It’s not fair for me to fight back when she has a disadvantage. I am beginning to love her flaws and want to get to know her better too.

I never truly understood what family meant to me. I mean sure I knew my family was my mom, dad, sisters, grandma, grandpa. What I didn’t know was that it was much more than that. I learned that family is there for you no matter what. They are the ones you lean on and the ones that love you. I believe that families, no matter how small or deteriorated should stick together and love each other. This I believe.