Shelby - Palm Desert, California
Themes: tolerance

Last weekend I was at a bowling alley in Palm Springs. I was sitting on a barstool with my date, and his friend. My date was a cop in training, and his friend was a certified officer. I showed some interest in their career and instantly got shot down. I was bombarded with phrases like “A girl like you wouldn’t make it.” “Your too pretty to be a cop.” “Girls are not tough enough.” I was very offended and voiced my position. They would not back down. Neither would I. So it turned into a very serious conversation that ended with my date and I leaving. He didn’t even stick up for me, which, in itself, really ticked me off. I couldn’t believe that an American servant didn’t believe in the rights of his own nation. Based entirely on the fact that I was a girl, he decided that he knew my limits and what I am capable of. I found his words disgusting and ignorant.

Minor but offensive occurrences, such as mine, happen far too frequently than should be allowed. I believe in secure equal rights to all American citizens, especially the right of suffrage, irrespective of race, color, or sex. I actually feel that this should stand for all human beings; sadly many countries do not exercise the right. I wish I could tell all the women who face discrimination like this, to NOT put up with it. We have to lash back; we cannot condone such belief or treatment! From what I told that cop, I know that he will think twice before he utters another doubtful word to a young woman again.

I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I love the fact that our country is considered a melting pot. That makes us so much richer in diversity. We learn and evolve so much from interlacing cultures. All our ideas can come together here and prosper into cures for sicknesses, recipes for the best tasting dishes, and religions that mold a respectful and spiritual community. If we opened up a little more, the possibilities would be endless!

Individuality should be commended and admired. People should be interested in what they can learn from different ethnicities. I have an Indian friend who is a hundred times more interesting then most of the people I know. He has half his family in India, and the other half in Europe. So He speaks his native Indian tongue fluently, as well as English. But he also knows some Spanish from visiting Spain so often. He is Hebrew, but is still open to celebrating Christmas and Easter. He has capturing stories about back packing through Greece and Italy. If everyone would open their eyes and be a little more accepting, we could all gain a lot more from each other, and quite dealing with all the strife and hardships caused by racism of color, religion, and sex.