Laura - Fair Oaks, California
Themes: integrity

I believe that certain people have no conscience. People don’t feel bad when they steal, lie, cheat, or anything because our generation just doesn’t care. When I think about my peers, I think about how many people have no sense of what is right and what is wrong. Maybe its poor parenting, peer pressure, or bad influence. Whatever the case it’s difficult for me to understand how people could be so insensitive and dishonest towards others.

Recently I was playing cards with a few people in my 2nd period. One of the guys was talking about how he was so hungry. The reason for this was because he lied to his mom and told her he was going to Panda Express when he was really selling a Blackberry phone that he stole in September. Therefore he could not go home and eat when he technically just “ate.” Previously he said he was going to sell a broken X-box to somebody, and how he was going to steal a kid’s I-pod in our class. How could somebody be so nonchalant about stealing? It’s wrong, right? “It’s not a big deal.” He said. I replied, “How is it not a big deal? You stole from somebody don’t you feel guilty at all?” “No.” He said.

A friend of mine lies to her parents every single night about what she is doing, where she is going, and who she is going with. Granted her parents are a little strict, but obviously for good reason. How can they trust her when all she does is lie? I remember one night when I went over to her house I asked her “So what are we going to do tonight?” She smiled and said, “Well I thought maybe we could go to that kid’s party.” I looked at her a little confused. “Your parents are not going to let us go.” She laughed and said “Don’t worry about it I lie to them every night. We will just say we are going to bed, then we will sneak out my window.” “What?” I said. “Yeah no big deal I do it all the time.”

All of my friends are totally boy crazy. All they ever talk about is “Oh my gosh that boy is so cute.” Or, “Does he have a girlfriend because he is gorgeous.” And of course that boy does have a girlfriend, and he still goes after and talks to other girls. The girl peruses the boy just the same. And the embarrassed girl finds out the next day that the boy who claims that he “Loves” her, cheated on her with the girl who though he was “so gorgeous.” The boy lies and says it never happened. Then later on after he is over it admits it did and “It was no big deal.”

What do all of these stories have in common? Everything wrong is “no big deal.” No one cares about each others feelings; everyone is selfish and is just thinking of themselves. And the worst part is they don’t think it’s wrong. They don’t think or know that it’s wrong, their brains are damaged. They are missing the part that distinguishes right from wrong and bad from good. Everything is “no big deal” and they are just going through the motions of life, never thinking twice about if they did something wrong; never feeling guilty, or ashamed. Our generation = no conscience and no sense of direction.