Eric - orem, Utah

Snow Storms

A powdery white that blankets the earth after a storm. A fresh covering that hides the imperfections of storms past. A bright, new beginning that leaves the old behind.

For me, gliding down fresh powder after a snow storm is a cleansing experience. Clean cuts made with my skis in this wintry delight is far more enjoyable than the icy conditions that have been pounded down over and over again making it choppy and hard to maneuver. When these conditions worsen, resorts try to compensate, creating their own, man-made snow: snow imitating the art of mother nature. But that’s all it is, an artificial wannabe, something striving to be, but not achieving it, such as imitation vanilla or crab, it might be cheap, but it can’t substitute the goodness and purity of the real thing. Man-made, artificial snow that doesn’t measure up, and not allowing me to experience what I desire. A day of fresh powdered runs.

I believe in snow and the trials in my life. When things get heated, a slushy mixture forms from the soft snow. A slush that is neither useful nor attractive, it’s just there. In life, when I am no able to progress due to tension and anger, the purpose and determination turns to slush. When things cool off, the slush freezes and turns to ice: a solid sheet that covers the area, never returning to its original state and fulfilling its desired purpose. I can cover it up with an easy fix, by using the imitation, though you never really get down to the root of the problem.

There have been times in my life when much anger and hostility have given me much stress. Overcoming these tough times has made me grow, and in a sense help wipe away some of my flaws.

When harsh winds and weather come from snow storms, they play a toll on the vulnerable atmosphere below. After the rough trials have been endured, a fresh blanket of white powder descends. Purity is and the beauty that was once there is returned, and the earth is rejuvenated.

I believe in snow storms. The harshness and trials they set upon the earth helps it renew itself of its flaws. I believe in fresh powder. A hard path to get to, but it makes life a lot easier to maneuver in. But most of all I believe in trials, rough times and heartache we need to overcome to achieve a brighter, happier dream.