Kayla - Kodiak, Alaska

This I believe

I believe that sometimes doing what your mom says not to makes you a more empathic person. I’m not saying if your mom says you shouldn’t smoke pot, and then you should because now you’ll know how a crack addict feels. That’s not what I’m saying at all. Like when you where little a beetle crawled by, and you pick it up and where about to shove it in your mouth, and then you Mother chimes in,” Don’t you dare think about eating that bug” And you say you won’t but the second she has her back turned, you scarf it down as if it where a cupcake. And of coarse it was the grossest thing you ever tasted. But later in life you hear about some poor soul who was lost, somewhere and all he ate was bugs. You’ll think back to childhood, and remember that beetle, and you will know a small portion of what that guy went though.

I also think that it’s good to SOMETIMES do what mommy says not to because it makes you experienced. Like when she says not to eat too much sugar and you do. You feel like superman, and you wonder why on earth would you mother tell you not to. And about twenty minutes later, the stomach ache hits, and you feel like someone took a vacuum and sucked all the energy out of you.

I think the occasional disobediences teaches children to actually listen to their parents. And it’s normal for a kid to do what their folks say not to, because they wonder, “how come.” Everyone does it. I know I did.

When I was about six, my mom handed me a spray bottle, and said “Run to the car, and put this in the glove box, but whatever you do. Do not spray this on anything, anybody, and especially yourself.” With out even asking why I ran outside, I made sure that if my mom was in the window she couldn’t see me. And when I was sure it was safe I sprayed my face, it burned like nothing I’d ever felt before.

(And I’d burnt my hand of the bottom of a pot, which was also something my mother had told my not to do.) My eyes, mouth, nose, even the skin on my face felt like they where on fire, or acid was burning me. I ran blindly back in the house, and I didn’t even have to explain, she washed out my mouth and eyes and rinsed my face. And even after it was all gone it still tingled painfully. Later that day I asked her what it was, and she said “pepper spray”, So now every time I her some one got pepper sprayed, I cringe.

So I truly believe that sometimes doing what you moms say not to makes you an empathetic person.