Elyse - Kodiak, Alaska

Elyse Johnston

I Believe in the power of the small

I am thirteen years old. In this world, I really haven’t lived very long. Nothing miraculous or tragic has ever happened to me, and I won’t pretend to have led the perfect life. That doesn’t mean, however, that I think that my life hasn’t meant anything to the world. I think that it has, in a way. What is the most important in my life is the way that every little thing that I do shapes me for the person that I am to become; a person that I hope can affect the world.

I believe that everything that happens to me is important, to me, if not to anyone else. From anything as small as finding a quarter on the ground, to something as important to me as winning an award for my grades, I am affected, so I feel that it is an important event. This way of thinking might sound selfish, but other things are important to me as well, such as things that happen around me, the small events that change the lives of everyone, everywhere. I choose to stick with those that concern me, however, as I don’t know as much about things that happen to everyone else.

Sometimes I like to just sit and think. Often, I think about small things, like what I am going to do with myself for the next three days. But most of the time that I spend lost in thought; I spend wondering how different my life could be if I had done something differently in the past. The affects of my previous actions have sometimes been seemingly small, but when I really stop and think, anything that I could have done could have altered my life hugely. That is why I think that everything that I do is important.

On a truly horrible day, even the smallest kindness exerted by a fellow person can make you feel better. On the other hand, if you feel good enough, one comment can completely ruin your day. Small things control everything, because they happen all the time, while the big miracles or disasters only happen once or twice in a lifetime. I believe that everything is important. This I Believe.