Lynda-Kay - Kodiak, Alaska

Art is a World Wide Language

From photography and painting, to drawing and dance. From charcoal and calligraphy, to pastels and music. Art comes in many shapes and forms, and it’s everywhere. Art is such an important thing to have in schools, in work places, and to have in homes. It can talk to you, move you, and even inspire you to make your own artwork.

For me, art has always been an encouraged part of my life. From the time I was three, my mother and sister, along with my babysitters, always encouraged my work of sloppy stick figures, or messy blobs that I claimed were animals. I was always given scrap paper, pens, pencils, crayons and markers whenever I asked…and sometimes even when I didn’t. I also loved to sing and dance. I would pretend to put on big shows and dream about being a famous star or something.

I wasn’t very tidy with paints, so I didn’t begin using them until I was about 9 or 10. But I used to gaze into portraits by famous painters, like Van Gough and Picasso, and hope that one day I myself would be sitting in some random art studio in Paris, making sophisticated and beautiful paintings.

By the time I reached middle school, my hand at drawing was better than anything else. I had a lot of loose drawings floating around my house, my room, and especially on the sides of school papers or in my planner. For Christmas, my seventh grade year, the kids I babysat bought me a really nice, hard cover sketch book. The night I got it, I drew a picture of a teddy bear that I had gotten in my stocking.

I started to challenge myself into other forms of art. I painted some pretty bad paintings of flowers or some other random thing. But once I got the rhythm and the technique of using the brush and paints, I started getting rather proud of my small paintings. Later on I ended up buying canvases and a more varied selection of paints to push myself further into it.

The summer before my 8th grade year I discovered my hand for photography. I was working at a remote lodge, and had some great opportunities for photos. I spent the majority of my spare time just wandering, looking for things to photograph. After I came home, I opened a deviantART account and began uploading photos. My family began printing and framing them not too long ago, and now my mother has started hanging them around the house.

So, what is it that I believe? I believe in a few things about the art culture. For one, I believe in art appreciation. But I also believe in being a varied artist; you shouldn’t tie yourself down to just one thing. Art is a worldwide lingo, understood through sounds, words, pictures, and colors throughout the world. Without art we would have no worldwide connection, no windows into the past, no glimpse of far off places. So I say, appreciate the art you see, hear, and especially; the art you create.