Jill - Traverse City, Michigan

The Power of Mistakes

Throughout my short life, I have dealt with a variety of different problems. I have been coached through numerous amounts of obstacles by many influential people in my life. There is one lesson that I have learned throughout all of these obstacles and it is something that I know will help me through all of my future problems. I believe that to succeed in life I have to live on my own; make my own mistakes and learn from them.

The time that has most shaped my life is my childhood, a time when I acted first and paid for the consequences. I learned not to put aluminum foil in the microwave after the appliance started smoking, and I learned not to believe my sister when she told me that the hot curling iron was a microphone. As a child the most impacting lessons I learned were the ones in which I acted first and was then forced to deal with the resulting consequences. Sure, maybe I ruined a few household appliances or almost burnt the skin off my hand, but they were never serious events.

As I grew older my mom tried to teach me the lesson before I did the action. By doing this my mom tried to spare me the hurt that I would face. My mother always said that it was due to the fact that the consequences were more serious and life altering. Even as an eighteen year old girl, I’m not allowed to stay up late because I might not feel well the next morning and I’m not allowed to hang out with certain people because they might be a bad influence. Well, how then am I going to learn my own lessons? I’m going to college next year; what is going to happen when my mom cannot shelter me from the possible hardships of college life?

I do not want to mislead, I love my mom dearly. She has taught me a lot about life, but I don’t want to be taught by someone else anymore; I want to learn on my own. If I never fail on my own, I will never succeed on my own. If I never experience life for myself, then I will be sheltered from the risk and the reward, and I am not ready to lead a life like that.