april - Frankfort, Kentucky

With a Helping Hand

Deep down inside of every person is one thing. Beneath the evil, jealousy, and pain one person may have, there is one thing that finds a way to shine through. This is kindness. I consider it to be one of our greatest gifts and using it which can get us farther in life than anything else. This I believe-that there is kindness deep down in everyone no matter who you are or what you do.

I once was the person that everyone loved to hate. It wasn’t hard not getting along with me because I was constantly making fun of people and got a real laugh out of it. Once, I was playing dodge ball in gym class and thought it would be funny to hit this one girl who was the Barbie doll of the class. She was always fixing her hair, putting on make-up, and complaining about every game we played. During our dodge ball game one day, she came really close to me and I beamed her right in her head. She fell over on the gym floor like a bobble head doll. Of course everyone laughed and chuckled including myself. But when the laughter suddenly stopped because she didn’t get up, I felt bad. I felt bad for what I had done now that she was hurt.

I had no respect for anyone or anything, ultimately thinking I was the best. But the worst part of all was that I took everything for granted. The love my family and friends gave me, I didn’t appreciate or even understand. I enjoyed making people feel bad because it made me look better than them. I knew I was a bad person and part of me thought deep down I liked it. I couldn’t understand how anyone could love or want to like me.

So when my freshmen year of high school came I was left standing with nothing. I had played sports and been athletic since I could remember, but even on numerous teams I couldn’t recall one single friend I had made. I was constantly fighting with my family, pushing people out of my life. I don’t know why I did any of these things or acted that way. It was something I felt was out of my control.

When my sophomore year arrived, I had grown some. I was of course taller and had somewhat filled out, looking more like a young woman, but more than anything my mental understanding was stronger. I had found a spec of kindness. I managed to make a few close friends and worked out some problems with my family. I was happy, but there was one thing I couldn’t figure out-God. I knew for sure I believed in god and his word, but I never knew what it felt like to love God. I explored life a little more trying to expand my beliefs by going to church. I even attended youth group and started to hang out with church friends. Church then offered me the opportunity to go to a retreat in Tennessee, and I took it, knowing I had nothing to lose. Then on one special night in the eyes of about 4,000 people, the Holy Spirit had called upon me and of course many others. It was then when the tears started flowing; I had touched God, believing I could do anything with him by my side.

Someway, somehow I was not the same person I used to be. I now looked on the bright side of most situations. I was happy with myself, making me happy with everyone else around me. I was kind to people I already knew but also strangers. I wasn’t the cruel and disruptive person I used to be.

Accepting God was not what made me a different person, believing that I myself could actually be a genuine good person is what pushed me. Deep down in my heart I knew I wanted to be a nice and kind person. I believed I could do this with a little help.

Being kind is something that thousands of people have no problem with. Smiling, giving a helping hand, or offering a kind word of advice is things that come natural to thousands or people. These things I have trouble with everyday. God has given me the greatest gift I could ask for, the ability to be a nice, kind, loving person. Not a person that everyone hates and never wants to be around. This I believe, that there is kindness deep down in everyone, no matter who you are or what you do!