Daniel - Palatine, Illinois

I believe that the United States of America is still the greatest force for good in the world. The United States is still a beacon for hope and freedom in the world. However, in recent years, that glorious beacon has begun to dim. We have become blinded by the light of our own beacon. As Americans we believe that we can do no wrong. Our policies have shifted from protecting the free world, to protecting our own economic interests around the world. Insuring that the United States remains the only superpower in the world, our government has undertaken foreign policy measures to either increase our power and influence around the world, or to stop any other nations from gaining any further power and influence around the world. Currently, our foreign policy focuses on the new “axis of evil” which consists of Iraq, North Korea, and Iran. We have already invaded Iraq under the false pretenses that Iraq was involved with the terrorist group, al Qaeda. Now, more and more people believe that we invaded Iraq for the oil supplies that Iraq controls. With the threat of nuclear weapons in North Korea, and the perceived antagonists view the United States has of Iran, who knows what action our government will take next. In the meantime, while we are worried about threats to the United States that our government has fabricated, millions are dying in places like Darfur, yet as a country as a whole, we chose to ignore this genocide. We are ignoring the things the protector of the free world should be focused on most. Despite these things terrible choices, I believe that there is still hope for the United States as a protector in this world. As a people, we must take control of our government. We must make the United States of America a democracy once again. As citizens of the greatest country this world has ever seen, we must tell our government what is best for us, not let the government continue to tell us what is best for us. We must tell those in charge of our country that we no longer want to take actions in order to protect our position in the world, but rather we want to take actions that will increase the position of lesser nations in the world. We need to let it be known that the American people want to stop the spread of AIDS in Africa, not to take oil from Iraq and Iran. When we do this, and only when we do this, can we say that the United States of America has once again become a beacon for hope and freedom in the world. Only when this happens will we gain the respect of all those countries who resent our power and wealth in the fact of poverty across the world.