Kimberly - Southport, Connecticut

No Time For Judgement

Ever since I was a young girl, I have been told not to judge people. I have grown up hearing my mom always tell me, “judge not and ye shall not be judged.” I believe that there is no reason to judge other people. I don’t see how anything is accomplished by judging others. I believe that everyone has problems, and by judging someone and picking apart all of their flaws, it is just sending out an invitation to be judged right back.

One Saturday, a few of my friends came to my house for a while. We were all sitting and talking for quite some time, just catching up since we had not seen each other in a while. During all of this time, I had noticed a pattern in the way that one of my friends was speaking. It seemed as if everything that came out of his mouth, came from a negative angle. Every time a new person was brought up in our conversation, he would say something in the way of, “she’s mad ugly” or “he’s so gay.”

After hearing this for a little while I stopped him and asked, “Can’t you ever think of anything nice to say?” He looked shocked when I said this to him. Maybe he hadn’t realized how rude he had been, or how mean the comments were that he was making. Nevertheless, I had heard him talk this same way multiple times in the past. Not only did it bother me to hear him talk about my own friends like this, but it also made me realize that when I wasn’t around, I wouldn’t be surprised if this so-called “friend” of mine talks the same way about me.

I am constantly surrounded by judgmental people in my life. I don’t think that my friend, for instance, even realized what he had been saying all that time, he just said it out of human instinct. I believe that it is wrong and hurtful to judge one another. In addition, it just seems to be a waste of my own time and energy to take the time and judge every aspect of each person I have ever known or seen.

There is no real reason for this deed, except to upset or hurt someone. Moreover, there is no real point in living, if the aim in life is to be malicious instead of making others happy and being happy yourself. Therefore, I believe that judging others is a pointless task.

People are judged for all sorts of reasons. It could be because of the clothes that you are wearing, how much money you have, or based on how popular you are. I believe that everyone is capable of stopping the judgement of others and creating a more welcoming atmosphere. It is hard to do this at times, but it is a great rule to live your life by. This I believe.