Ashlyn - Gainesville, Florida
Themes: family, love

There are certain things, places -mundane in nature- that somehow become the pillars of my personal philosophy. Such elusive ideas as courage and love aren’t what I’ll believe as an adult, but the tangible things…those are what define me.

I believe in Home Depot. Not for the obvious reasons: low priced, durable lumber and chipper sales associates. I believe in Home Depot for its divine significance in my own life.

My dad and I, wanting to escape the estrogen filled household, would venture to Home Depot on an excursion of sorts. Entering the building was always thrilling, knowing what was to come. I don’t even remember if there was a task to accomplish in these trips, but we’d manage to occupy ourselves. My dad would pick up a magnetically charged screw driver boasting interchangeable pieces and I would watch in admiration as he explained its uses and quality. I am still under the impression that my dad knows everything about everything and to me he is infallible.

My dad was ever the teacher, advisor and friend in his natural manly environment of Home Depot. I sadly haven’t ever taken to the handy-man lifestyle but that is not to say his wisdom was lost on me. Some people are not as direct with their love and have to use vessels, such as power tools to convey their sentiments. My father was one such being. Somewhere between the electronics and home furnishing departments my father and I became best friends.

So many teenagers look only to their peers for a friend who understands them most, but who can be a closer fit than flesh and blood? My dad is my best friend; we joke, beat each other up on occasion and there’s no one I’d rather be with.

Being the third of three girls my dad must have felt his dreams of a protégé son fade into oblivion….I like to think I’ve filled that gap for him. A daughter is naturally bonded to her mother by gender, but how often can a girl say they fully know their father?

Looking back I can see no pursuit more valuable than of this sacred friendship. A life without dad is no life at all. I believe that something rare and inexplicable happened along the cemented halls of Home Depot. This I believe.