Chelsea - Fairfield, Connecticut
Themes: love

The Cost of Love

I believe that love has no cost. It’s not something that you can go to a store and ask an employer, “Do you sell love?” If you do, well then, you can be sure that you will get some pretty weird looks. It doesn’t have a price tag, so you won’t find love for ten dollars or even a million dollars. I believe that you can’t make someone or something adore you because they either love you or they don’t. No brand of clothes you wear or type of car you drive is going to cause someone to like you. People love you for your personality and you can’t buy personality, therefore, you can’t buy love.

One day my mom and I were dropping off my friend at her house. We pulled up to her one acre property that was beautifully outlined in a black steel fence that alone cost thousands of dollars. We then drove up her driveway that must have been at least one hundred yards long. Every foot we drove the house just seemed to be doubling in size. I looked at the house, turned and looked at my mom with my eyes wide open and in amazement said, “Whoa! Your house is enormous!” I looked at my friend who simply shrugged her shoulders and in a sweet, quiet voice said, “Yeah, but try sharing it with your mom, dad and four siblings, it doesn’t seem so big after all. Plus, it’s the people who live in the house that counts, not the size of it. I mean you house is pretty small, but I love it.” This is when it hit me, she was right, it’s not about the electronics you own or the place you live, it’s about the people you love and people don’t have a price. All the components of love are unable to be bought with anything other than your heart.

Love does not have a dollar amount; it is priced by moments, memories, sorrow and laughter. Every minute you spend with someone you love strengthens your relationship. I believe that since I can’t go out and buy love, I should hold on to the memories I have and the people I love; I never know what could happen today, tomorrow or next week. Love can’t be sold in a store; it can only be held in your heart. This I believe.