Laura - Corvallis, Oregon

That’s Why They Call it the Present

I believe in living everyday to the fullest. To not care about something that happened yesterday or last week or tomorrow or next year. I just want to be, to live in the moment. I discovered that feeling in the summer of 2005, and ever since then.

It started off slowly, lounging around the pool, and backyard barbeques. Until I started to hang out with a girl named Jackie. We had had a class together that past school year and I loved her “I don’t care what anyone thinks of me” attitude. She was exactly the kind of person I needed to change my life for the better. I had suffered through years of dealing with those malicious girls that I had been “friends” with ever since middle school. Jackie gave me the courage to break free of them and move forward with my life.

Everyday that first month we were together. Going out on little adventures and making memories every place we went. Each night was something new and more fun than the latter.

In July, it was time for me to go to my week-long church camp that I look forward to every year. This year was different though because my best guy friend wasn’t going to be there, or so I thought. He ended up surprising me and in just a couple days, the crush I had on him quickly grew into my first love. We spent all of our time together and I felt like I could do anything when I was with him. He was the only guy that made me laugh until I cried and gave me butterflies in my stomach. He meant the world to me and everyday of camp was perfect with him by my side.

I returned from camp happier than I had been in a long time. I grew so much from that experience and loved life even more because of it. We kept in contact over the next few weeks and even into the beginning of school, but I knew that our relationship wouldn’t be the same. Our summer love wouldn’t last. I did know that he would always be someone special to me and someone whom I would never forget. He made me see the kind of person I wanted to be and how I wanted to feel in a relationship; he made me a better person by giving me the confidence to be proud of myself, and I will always love him for that.

The rest of the summer I spent with Jackie. I passed my driver’s test a week after I came home from camp and you could always count on seeing Jackie and I cruising around town, windows down, music blaring. We would often spend our nights with the wind in our hair and smiles on our faces. We had a blast those last few nights of summer because we had no regrets about anything we did. We just let go of all that tied us down, took risks, laughed, danced, and never once did we look back to the past or think about the future. We lived our lives to the fullest everyday.

Each day is a gift, that’s why they call it the present. All you can do in life is learn from the past, hope for the future and live in the moment. Life is slipping away so go. Now. Now. Now.