Jackie - Corvallis, Oregon

I Believe in Laughter

I believe in laughter. I believe the kind of laugh where you’re almost toppling over because your stomach and cheekbones hurt so bad can instantly put you in a better mood. Just one joke, one scene in a movie, one person, or even one sentence in a book can lift you up and make you forget about all of your troubles.

When I was a sophomore in high school I wasn’t a great student, not bad, just not great. I was grounded for ditching out on one of my chemistry classes and for an argument I had with my mother. I was so upset to the point of hysterical crying. To cheer me up a couple of my friends showed up and snuck me out of my house.

We decided to go driving around blasting Ashlee Simpson and dancing in the car, when we came upon a parking lot, and a road, or so we thought, on the other side. We entered on the road that led to nowhere. It was suspicious looking with the red bricks underneath us we preceded with caution. It took us a couple minutes to realize we were driving on a sidewalk. And being slightly immature we three girls just thought it was the funniest thing.

For those ten minutes I didn’t think about school, the fight with my mom, drama between friends. I was living in the moment. Laughing had completely gotten rid of my hostile feelings and put a huge smile on my face. I didn’t want to go back home. I didn’t want my night to end. I just wanted to stay there replaying our incident. I felt so complete.

Laughing helped me calm down and take a moment. I didn’t need to be that upset. There will always be more classes, more deadlines, new uptight bosses, and more stressors in life, but our first “sidewalk” moment will never happen again.

I realized it just then, that all that really and truly matters is having a good time and being happy with yourself. College is very important but not getting into my first choice isn’t going to kill me, it will just lead me on a different path to my success.

There are so many more moments where laughing literally takes my breath away, it is the best medicine, a cure for all. Whether it is my two younger twin sisters saying something absolutely ridiculous, or my best friend having a slightly ditzy moment, or even just sitting back watching “Friends”, all my troubles seem to melt away.

We go back to the sidewalk from time to time, but it isn’t the same. It will never be the same and I’m okay with that because I know that I’m going to have a million more “sidewalk” moments that no one else will think is funny, but that will get me bent over laughing. This is why I believe in Laughter.