Todd - Orem, Utah

With so much pressure these days to excel in everything that one does, it is sometimes hard to find time to relax. Most people assume that relaxing wastes valuable time that should be spent working towards an important goal for something in the distant future. I think however that I can still “stop and smell the roses,” without sacrificing any education or career goals, taking the simple course in life while still being successful.

Parents are always driving their children to be better, to take all the harder classes so that they can get into the best college and have their choice of career options. But it is my opinion that not only do you not have to take all the advanced classes, but that you can take easy classes, not go to the absolute best college in the country and still have a good job and life.

The world keeps saying that we need to work harder and longer to “get ahead.” As a result the forty-hour work week seems to be stretching to fifty, sixty, even seventy hours a week or more. But wouldn’t you say that if your work is better than the other guys you would get the promotion? It doesn’t matter how many more hours he puts in than you, what will be noticed is the quality of the work above all else. Shouldn’t a balance be reached that puts quality a step above quantity? Now to say that extra time should be taken for every project to make it beyond perfect is unnecessary, but why stress to get something done early?

I believe most that even though I may not always get the grades my parents think I should get, I will still be able to succeed. There is so much more to life than getting the best grade all the time. That I can get into a good school, get a great job, and make tons of money is a goal that is attainable in my opinion. But I don’t feel I have to work as hard as people say I should. Trying my best and rolling with things that don’t necessarily go my way is all I would like to do. If I miss an assignment in a class because I was working on one for another, that’s ok. Priority needs to be analyzed and the more important project addressed first. I just can’t make it a habit.

There are times I wish I never screwed up in life, but looking back I realize that things that happen in life are often blown way out of proportion. I’m ok with not getting better grades than everybody else, or not having the fantastic opportunities that are supposedly available to me if I’ll just work harder and sacrifice every bit of free time I have in my life. It will all work out in the end. I know that I can do great things; even without the Harvard degree.