Heather - Liberty, Missouri

This I Believe…

I believe I can make it. My life is hard sometimes. I may have not chosen the easy way through life. I believe that our choices make us who we are by giving us experiences to learn from. Some of the choices I have made could be considered “bad” or “wrong” by some people. I believe that my choices have made me who I am today. I am a 21 year old, single mom of two beautiful boys. My older son is four and my younger son is one. I work as a pharmacy technician and I am going to school with ambitions of being a lawyer.

I dropped out of high school when I was 15 years old. I chose a group of friends that chose to do drugs, and I chose to accompany them. At 16 I got pregnant, I believe this happened because of the choices I made at the time. Because of my pregnancy I quit doing drugs, and I got my G.E.D. This was one of the best choices I ever made. My son is my savior, and I love him with all of my heart.

I worked at McDonald’s during my first pregnancy as many dropouts do. I gained a lot of weight and didn’t always like who I saw in the mirror. I started believing that the choices I had made had landed me at a dead end. Because of my job at McDonald’s I met two Mexicans. This was the first time in my life that I had spoken to a Hispanic person. I had never really dealt with anyone who didn’t speak English. I learned Spanish in high school, but I never thought I would use it. I fell in love with their language, and I now speak fluent Spanish.

Soon after learning Spanish I met my younger son’s father. Unfortunately he wasn’t completely truthful with me, and I ended up pregnant and alone, again. At this point I once again felt like I wasn’t going to make it, and I had reached a dead end. I didn’t want to be young and alone with two small children.

These two children are my reason for living. I work so they can have a life they deserve. I am going to schools o that I can get a better job and give them all of the things they need. I am learning to eat healthy and be active so that I can spend more energy with them.

At this point in my life I have come to realize that there are no dead ends. I have realized that if I learn from the choices I make and the experiences I have, I can do anything. I am young, happy, and healthy. I know that I will make choices that may put me in situations that would be easier had I not made the choice, but those situations will help me become stronger than every. I believe I can make it, and once I get there, I will keep going.