Ivor - Traverse City, Michigan

Everyone has had those times during which the last thing they want to do is laugh. Or smile. Or do anything besides cry. Maybe I’m angry, maybe I’m sad, maybe I’m just upset, maybe the tears aren’t worth it. I believe in laughter, in the beauty of a smile, in the splendor of happiness. Most of all, I believe in laughing through the tears.

I believe in laughing through the tears because both my friend and my grandma died from cancer. I believe this because a close friend moved away. I believe this because I held my dog while she was put to sleep. I believe this because God has a plan I do not understand, and I laugh through the tears because of His plan. I laugh because, in an indirect way, I am crying as a result of life following God’s plan. I believe that I cannot even start to fathom what He has in mind for me, for my life. I laugh because my mind, my sadness, is getting in the way of that plan.

At the time of such pain, I can never laugh. But it is in the reflection of the events past that I see the good that comes from it. There is so much I can learn by simply looking at what benefits I received from the experience, even if it was full of pain and sadness. I gain knowledge, strength, insight from sorrowful incidents. I gain from sadness. The ability to acknowledge the fragility of life. Knowing to cherish friendship. Truly smiling because it happened, not crying because it’s over.

I believe in a greater power with a greater plan. I believe that nothing is too sad that you cannot smile after, smile through. I believe in faith, hope, and a smile. I believe in laughing through the tears.