Mark - Orem, Utah

The Power of Self Belief

The satisfaction of getting your name on the wall was greater than anything else on the day we played the putting game in my B-3 class. It was my turn to try to get my name on the wall. When I stepped up to the line I never believed I could make the putt. I moved the club back and struck the ball, I missed. Shortly after nearly making the putt my teacher informed the whole class of a previous student that not only had the lucky chance of making the rare putt, but did it twice. After the first putt, the student confidently put his name on the board before he had a even shot his second time. He said, “Brother Lowe, I’ve already made it!” This student explained that he imagined himself making the putt before, so when he stepped up to the line all that was left was physically putting the ball. Would I have similar success if I would’ve just believed? It was hit well enough to go in, but was my confidence lacking? I went through the rest of school wondering about this. Can I be successful in sports and friendships if I just believe?

I believe in the power of self belief

I had a baseball game later that day. We were facing a team that had strong pitching; two of their guys had already accepted college scholarships for baseball. I was already off to a strong season at the plate, but that day was different. I had a great day getting a hit every time I went to bat. Even though we lost, I felt like I won at the plate. I visualized myself before every at bat getting a hit, and the results were just that. This was not a coincidence. It wasn’t a mistake, I had the talent to do so in the previous games, but I was just lacking the confidence in myself. I didn’t believe. In our next game I continued my hot streak and got a hit every at bat my next game. I believed in myself and in my ability to be successful and I was. I went 6 at bats with 6 hits. The only difference was the belief in my self.

Throughout the rest of the season I continued with moderate success but nothing like the week I had a life changing lesson and personal experience. When I failed to succeed, I reflected back on my preparation, I lacked confidence in those failing circumstances. When I failed in the past, it made it harder in the future to believe, so when I lacked confidence in myself and didn’t believe, I failed.

Now when I am in a situation where I might lack confidence and not believe I always read a quote given to me by my freshman football coach, it reads:

“If you think you are beaten, you are:

If you think you dare not, you don’t.

If you like to win, but think you can’t:

It’s almost a cinch you won’t”

Walter D. Wingle

Now whenever I have doubt or I feel like I can’t achieve, all I have to remember is to believe! I meditate before I physically attempt something and the outcome is much better! I am a believer, I have experienced great success, and I hope that everyone can just believe.

So the next life brings you a challenge, don’t bend and break. But be a believer and rise above the rest all the way to success, you will find that deep down inside when there is a will there is a way!