Kellee - Frankfort, Kentucky

You.

What do I believe in? In today’s day and age, it’s so hard to cling to something real, something that never shifts definition and never fails. Don Williams paints the perfect picture of what that is in his 1987 song, “I Believe In You.”

Reading the lyrics, you can only see one clear cut thing he believes in. There is one line that is repeated over and over again: “I believe in you.” Taking ‘you’ as a metaphor for human kind, I sincerely believe that there is an ounce of goodness in everyone. Evil deeds are done and heartless seeds are sewn, but at the end of the day, we’re all the same. I have more faith in us than to think issues such as virginity and gasoline prices consume lives. It’s a foreign thought to me that imported goods and ‘first is best’ are things that define us. Love and friendship. Miracles and babies. The beauty of seniors and music. This is where belief lies.

The world is full of false gods and superstition, but does that make everyone a suspect? No. But does it make everyone a victim? Where are the heroes? Where are the Ghandis and the Einsteins? I’ll tell you friends. They’re within each of us. They’re screaming to get our attention and every time we silence them, they’re dying. I believe with all of my heart that, if given the opportunity, we all are capable of anything. That wasted opportunity is in Washington D.C. on a park bench, in Harlem behind barred windows, in Los Angeles driving under the influence. Day by day, we’re killing ourselves. Generation by generation we’re filling our graves with wasted talent. What we need is to believe in each other and undig our graves.

Belief is a mighty thing to have these days; especially with a lack of things to put trust in. Instead of putting that trust in your old friend Jack Daniels, trust your neighbor. Instead of not going to church because of the corruption, stop the corruption and go because you can. Instead of reading the gossip about Hollywood’s finest, call up you mom and chat about old times.

What beautiful things our lives are, what beautiful things babies and families are. Better yet, look at how beautiful you are. We all have so much to learn from one another and it starts today. A lot has changed since 1987. There are fewer things to believe in and more things to give up on. In this kind of world, I still believe you.