John - Frankfort, Kentucky

America, the (not so) Beautiful

Opus said, “The problem with having an open mind is that people keep coming around sticking things in it.” I believe that being completely open minded goes against the standards of democracy. People tell us that we should accept the man next door, even if we don’t agree with what he says or even his does. I believe that it is our duty to take what we believe and stand concrete. Others will argue, “How do you know what is right if you never challenge the other possibilities.” I am not saying that you shouldn’t challenge the beliefs of others, you should use them to strengthen your own; Democracy exists because of that reason. I am arguing that too many people take one persons word and believe it verbatim, no questions asked. This personal choice is one of the commodities that set democracy above most other governments.

A stance defines a person; it singles us out. We all have our heroes, but never will I completely conform to follow them. Democracy exists on diversity. In recent times, we have let this country be ruled by two political parties. It’s so bad, that even democrats won’t even vote for a republican just because we have a president who doesn’t do most of the things they want and vice versa. We have divided our country into two halves: republican and democrat; there is no real power in between. Democracy lies in the people, if we succumb to the will of others without asking ourselves why, we throw it away like leaves in the wind.

Take into perspective the Communist governments. Everyone has the same income despite job difficulty, everybody has the same everything. The mind should be open just enough to judge that communism is wrong and that the government shouldn’t be controlling. The whole communist idea is root out the number of choices one has by means of fear and force, trapping the people into deciding to go along with it.

This acceptance or open mindedness is what causes the impaired judgments. Each person should stand firm in what they believe to be right or to be wrong. I am not saying that a lawyer should not sway your mind, that’s his job. It is up to you to decide whether or not you accept, reject or qualify. Caring about the decision so much that it would cause you to knowingly throw the truth away for some self betterment is wrong. There is always choice.

I remember the days in class when a teacher would ask embarrassing questions to my classmates and me; everyone looking around, searching for that hand to pop up with their own; acquiring the secure feeling of not being singled out. Is this really what you think people should be like? I believe that individual choice is the main power we the people are truly granted as a democratic nation. Think, and then act. We were not meant to be ignorant or intelligent, people choose to be.