Rashik - Frankfort, Kentucky
Themes: children, family

The Importance of Family Life

This I Believe Essay

Family life plays a vital role in the development of a child. A healthy family will generally translate to a socially and mentally healthy individual. Given my supportive and secure family, I have been able to experience firsthand how pivotal positive household relationships can be in the universe of a child.

My family has provided encouragement for me to succeed; they have taught me what is right, and have taught me how to achieve it. Without their incentives, I would have had less motivation in my worldly endeavors; without that motivation, success would be more difficult for me to achieve. Prime examples include the repeated emphasis of education and academics they have stresses upon me, motivating me in my schoolwork when I did not want to for myself.

My family also provides daily factors necessary for my survival. Since my birth, I have had food, care, and shelter given to me by my parents and grandparents. Without this altruistic nourishment, it would have been nigh impossible for me to survive as an infant. Even as adults, I know that any of my family members will be able to look to other family members for help if they are in need of it.

Members of my family also act as role models for me, especially my sister. Because of our closeness in age and relationship, I am able to follow not only with her guidance, but by her actions as well. Because of our similarities created in part by our identical gene pools and similar upbringing, looking to her as a role model is perhaps more effective than looking up to anyone else I know.

Overall, a good family life entails caring for one another and prioritizing the needs of other members of those of oneself. However, my family also executes other simple, yet vital daily procedures such as eating dinner together or making one another sandwiches. These actions have helped me, since my earliest childhood, to comprehend the virtues of friendship and dedication, allowing me to integrate those same values and concepts into my relationships outside of my family.

Family has affected my life because it is the basic world I have always known. I spend the vast majority of my time at home, making it the nucleus of my life. Because of the importance of my home, the relationships I have there shape the sphere of relationships I have elsewhere. My family has given me the necessary outlook and motivation for life, as well as the social relationship skills necessary for being both a friend and productive member of modern society,

Though a good family life does not guarantee success and a poor one does not ensure failure, my personal experiences have shown me that it does play a key role in the life of a child. From teaching life lessons and punishing detrimental behavior to providing necessary nourishment and stimulating an infant’s first social interaction, family members have the immense power of changing the lives of their relatives.