Judi - Bearsville, New York

THIS I BELIEVE

Although I have had Multiple Sclerosis for 39 years I am recovering from all of my many symptoms. My condition had deteriorated to the point of lying in bed all day, every day. I could never have simply relied on the regular use of a wheelchair because my trunk muscles were too weak to hold me up. The healing began when I started The MS Recovery Diet in January 2006. Because the diet has been so effective, I was able to stop using any MS drugs, none of which reversed a single symptom.

The MS Recovery Diet is both delicious and easy to follow. It involves eliminating certain foods, such as those that contain saturated fats, gluten, dairy, yeast, legumes and sugar which seem to trigger MS symptoms. I also add in the correct unsaturated fats to promote neurological repair and eat lots of lean proteins and fruits and vegetables. I personally know at least five others for whom variations of this diet has worked. My friends and family can hardly believe how much my life has changed for the better. Recently I spent an entire weekend joyfully attending my daughter’s college graduation in another state. In the past this would have been an impossible feat and a familiar loss for me.

Diet changes can heal other conditions as well. One of my daughters stopped having terrible migraine headaches by avoiding processed soy products and foods in the nightshade family such as eggplants, tomatoes, peppers and potatoes.

Another daughter had neurological complications at birth and suffered severe epileptic seizures from ages 7-9. When all of the anti-seizure medications failed, she went on a very strict diet, called the Ketogenic Diet. For a year and a half, I gladly measured every gram of food that went into her mouth using an exact formula to monitor fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Even the amount of water she drank was carefully controlled. I was glad to do this for her because I watched my daughter miraculously emerge from behind the fog of constant brain disruptions.

For the next 11 years, the effect of the Ketogenic Diet contained all apparent seizure activity. When her seizures finally returned as an adult, her epileptologist said that she is hardwired to be an epileptic. But because she used no medications for such a long time, a new drug now has a very good chance to continue working while she attends college.

My family is not unique in the use of diet as medicine. I have several friends who control their diabetes and heart disease through eating the appropriate foods, using no drugs. For me, changing my diet has been easy compared to living a severely compromised life with secondary progressive MS. If I can heal myself by changing what I eat, others can as well. This I believe.