Tasha - Provo, Utah
Themes: purpose, question

It is the day of Prom; goosebumbs rapidly coat my skin, in fear that once again I will not get the boutonniere on correctly. With so much emphasis on the magic of prom, why does the night start by putting a pin in the direction of our dates heart? As if I don’t have enough to worry about without the fear of stabbing my date! Last year after pricking my own finger and failing to attach the flower to my date I surrendered the job to my mother and sister. On one occasion, the fear was mirrored on both my date’s and my face as my dad stood above my date in attempting to place the flower correctly. With mortification I revealed my inability, as well as intimidating the boy while others attempted to attach the flower. I believe flowers would be preferred if they were not attached on the night of prom.

Not only does the boutonniere cause problems, but the corsage does as well. At one dance, my date was unable to obtain a corsage; he spent the rest of the night apologizing. Though I was unaffected by not having a flower, it has become an expectation to have one. Oftentimes, if not acquired, this leaves someone in shame ,and the other in disappointment.

I fear the occasion when my date cannot find a flower that fits around my wrist, where is he supposed to place the flower? Unless I want to parade around the dance floor with a flower attached to my back the boy is forced to put the flower somewhere where it is thought to be inappropriate for a guy to be near. What is a guy to do?

In the case that everything with the corsage goes right they are neither comfortable or convenient. Returning from one dance I looked as though I’d slit my wrist as the wires had repeatedly seared my skin. Turning what was meant to be beautiful into a painful, unessential annoyance.

In general, boutonnieres and corsages seem to cause more of a disaster than the desired delight. On countless occasions I hear girls discuss the fear that the flowers will not match either each other, or their dates apparel. The flowers will rarely make it through the night, leaving a trail of petals and leaves behind the couple. At times I’ve had the entire structure of the arrangement fall apart, adding green tape, ribbons, and beads to the flowery mess on the ground. At the last dance my friend noticed beads were slowly sliding off her corsage, only to watch as numerous girls slipped over her fallen beads.

In the case that their date is allergic to the flower, I don’t even want to go into the dangers of that. All this drama for a flower that will be de-petaled before anyone ventures from the dance. Though the flowers may seem attractive while they last, it is an unnecessary addition to an already chaotic day.