Priscilla - Orem, Utah
Themes: addiction

Addiction

I believe that people don’t try to get addicted. I have never met anyone who would openly claim to have started smoking because they have always wanted to know what it is like to be dependant on something. Everyone I know who is addicted to something started out using it as either an escape or a excuse. This has been a year full of addictions for my friends. I have one friend who is addicted to marijuana. Another who is now an alcoholic. I even have a friend who is addicted to sex, inappropriate though it might sound.

I believe that addiction is a trap. I know it sounds simple, and to me it is. Addiction is a state of being dependant on something (and I don’t mean something like air), I mean some kind of substance, something that is not necessary to sustaining life. Addictions can be anything from drugs, to shoes. That’s right, I said shoes. I saw a really interesting show once, though I can’t remember what it was off the top of my head. It was talking about addiction; a woman was talking to her husband about how many shoes she had. One of her comments is, “well if addiction is something you can’t live without, then put me in rehab. I’m addicted to shoes.”

I’m not trying to make light of the situation. To me addiction is a very serious issue that we’re faced with in America. We are addicted to everything. Many American’s couldn’t live without their televisions, stereos, fast food, and even faster life styles. That makes me think : American’s are addicted to addiction. We are addicted to things. Things that we don’t think we could ever part with.

American’s have jumped feet first into this age ruled by technology. So many things which rule our daily lives, such as the cell phone and the internet were hardly a dream less than 15 years ago. We have not only accepted this addiction, but we are now bowing down to it. The cell phone is the supreme ruler of many teenagers in this day and age. To illustrate this I’ll use a Utah tradition : Girls’ Camp.

Picture this with me : No phones. No mp3’s. No boys. One week. All you can see for miles around are trees. This is the ultimate test of addiction. Some girls handle it just as they would any other day of the year, others however can’t stand to be out of the loop for more than 24 hours.

I believe that people don’t try to get addicted. I believe that, because I believe that people don’t see it as an addiction. People see it as a fact of life.