David - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: sports, work

Hard work is the glue that keeps society together. If no one worked hard, nothing would be done. All the great achievements, all the heroic acts, and all the records that have been set are direct results of someone working harder than someone else.

In ninth grade, I played three sports for my school. As the cliché goes, first the worst, football. I dreaded every practice, every single day. Practice, however, is nothing compared to the football camp held by the high school in the middle of summer. Everyday for a week, we were woken up at five-thirty. As soon as we were awake, we had to put on our cleats and hit the field for warm-ups. Next we would walk over to the terrible “toro hill” and run up and down it anywhere from two to five times. Immediately after we had to go lift, some of the hardest lifting I’ve ever gone through. Then, two strenuous hours after waking up, we were finally allowed to eat the disgusting cafeteria food for one hour. The rest of the day was full of three two to three-hour practices and a small game at nights, and anytime during the day, if any coach felt we weren’t giving one hundred percent, he sent us to run “the water tower”. This was a hill much like “toro hill,” but it was all one-foot deep loose dirt up to a water tower. Throughout the entire day, we were allowed one hour of rest just after lunch. In short, it wasn’t the most fun experience I’ve had.

During my only year of high school football, I never understood why anyone would ever want to play football. Instead of football I took up basketball, and both years I was on the varsity team, we won the 5A state championship for Arizona. While basketball is definitely not football, it is still very hard work. Now after playing and winning, I know now that the hard work is what made it possible for us to win. Now I finally realize the reason someone would want to play football, because winning a championship is worth the work. Nothing can substitute for plain hard work, and no one can win, whether in sports or in life, without it.