Chelynn - Orem, Utah
Themes: children, hope

I believe in the potential of human beings.

When you see a small child you may see a helpless, dependant individual. I see much more. I see a doctor, a lawyer, a leader of nations. A person who may save lives, help others, and make a difference. I see someone who has a chance to change the world, someone who is great.

Every leader and hero was once a dependant child. Seeing them then, their potential would be hard to foresee. If I had seen my hero Martin Luther King Jr. in childhood I would have hardly believed that he would help achieve equal treatment for a race that had been inferior for hundreds of years. Yet, he did.

I started at birth with no knowledge, and I have learned in order to fulfill my potential. As a child I had infinite potential. I could become anything and affect everything. I believe not only children, but everyone has potential.

Throughout history many people have achieved many amazing things. Thinkers and philosophers have mastered mathematics and sciences. They theorized and hypothesized until they discovered today’s knowledge. Now there is an accumulation of knowledge escalating to incredible levels. I see doctors that know more now than ever, and this knowledge is increasing. Today’s abilities and knowledge will grow astronomically as more people contribute their own talents.

Not only great thinkers have potential, but everyone does. Growing up I have seen my peers accomplishing so much. They have become so smart and talented. I also have surprised myself in my school career. A fairly average child in my first few years, I have become one of the top students in my class.

I have discovered that fulfilling my potential is not always easy. Mostly it is not. Hard work and diligence; both are necessary to fulfill potential. I discovered this in music. For most of my life I have been somewhat tone deaf. I could not distinguish harmonies and could barely pick out the melody. Often flat, and sometimes sharp. I could not tell if I was in tune. Several years ago I decided that I wanted to be able to sing; so, I worked hard at it. I sat next to altos at church to hear the part, hammered out harmonies at the piano, joined choir, and started voice lessons. Now, my voice has improved so much! Though far from perfect, I can read, hear, and sing a harmony. I now sound good enough that people do not cover their ears and run away when I sing. I am reaching my potential through hard work and determination.

An incredible number of things have been and are achieved by people who work for it. Through hard work, many of the small, dependant children will grow and accomplish much. Everyone can accomplish much. I believe every person has the infinite potential to do anything.