Brooks - Orem, Utah, Utah

I believe in the Boy Scout program.

I distinctly remember the court of honor when I got my first merit badge. I had learned all about first aid and how to care for injured people in an emergency situation. For knowledge I had gain, I was awarded the first aid merit badge. I knew that I had learned a lot, and was going to learn a whole lot more. I don’t think that there are many other places that a young boy can learn these imperative skills.

When I was first exposed to scouting as an eight year old boy, I hoped that I was going to have an enjoyable time learning about the great outdoors as well as citizenship, athletics, careers, and personal attributes. I learned all about survival skills and life in the wilderness; by going on campouts and outings. And earning and completing requirements for merit badges, I learned about different careers and how to manage my up and coming hectic teenage life. I had also learned skills that could help me my whole life.

I believe in the Boy Scout program because it provides exposure to many different things. Scouting provides opportunities for boys to learn little bit and pieces about all different kinds of hobbies and skills that they can enjoy the rest of their lives. Because of the way it is set up, scouts can choose from lots of different things that they might want to learn about and experience. Anything from small boat sailing to atomic energy.

Scouting provides young men with a goal they can work towards — an eagle scout. Boy Scouts need to earn merit badges and show competence in many areas to earn this prestigious award. I think it is great for young men to work toward a goal and accomplish goals they have set. Setting and accomplishing goals is one great thing that scouting teaches that can be very easily applied to real life.

Boys scouts with their tan-green shirts, are enrolled in a very beneficial program. Scouting teaches young men to be better citizens in communities all around the world. This is why I believe in the Boy Scout program.

Ever since I received my first merit badge and until I receive my last, I believe I am persistently learning that will help me in my future life. Scouting teaches young boys very practical skills that will enhanced their lives, and ultimately that lives of all those around them.