Sarah - Alpine, Utah

Title-It hurts up to a point, and then it doesn’t get any worse

Essay-

The starting line awaits and all I can hear is my heart racing.

When the gun goes off the beating in my chest quickens. The muscles in my body contract, their one goal: to move me forward– fast. The cool, crisp smell of the rubberized track fills my lungs and refreshes my body; giving me strength to run faster. My mind is invigorated by the thought that I have done all I can for this one purpose. Four laps of exhausting speed and I will be done. I know the first two laps will just come, but it is the third lap I need to focus on. This is the lap I must drive through the pain and push. By the time the fourth lap comes I can just do it. This is because I believe that it hurts up to a point and then it doesn’t get any worse.

As a runner, I have had this feeling many times. I try my hardest in practice to prepare myself for this moment. I must push the limits. It is just the same with every aspect of life whether it is school or running.

High school brings a new kind of determination, but the same stress. A familiar scene floats across my mind. The computer screen flashes before my drooping eyes as my mind struggles to put it’s thoughts into words. Three in the morning is a little late, or is it early? I don’t comprehend things such as time any more. The only thing keeping me going is the fact that I know it is almost over; knowing I have already done this twice and I can do it one more time. I have come this far and I just need to push through this third term to the end. It is just like the mile. I can make it through the first two laps with determination, but when the third lap comes I must be able to drive through, because here is where I give it all I’ve got. This is where it counts. This is when I must know that it hurts up to a point, but doesn’t get any worse. After the third term I have one more term to go. The fourth. Just like in the mile I can find the strength to go one more time because I know it will be over soon.

Then when the final turn comes around I will push to the end and give it my all because I believe it hurts up to a point and then it can’t get any worse.