Michael - Orem, Utah

Happiness. What comes to mind when someone says this word?

Happiness plays a huge role in my life. I cannot live a day without it. I look around and see people suffering every day with sadness and depression. I cannot help but wonder, “what would happen if they smiled once in a while?”, or “what if they could just let go of their depression and think of only Happy thoughts?” With Happy thoughts we can accomplish anything.

Happiness, as defined by Webster’s Dictionary is: having, showing, or causing a feeling of great pleasure, contentment, joy, etc.; joyous; glad; pleased. This is exactly what happiness means to me. I believe in Happiness.

Happy people are a real joy to be around because they radiate out a warm and peaceful feeling. I love being around happy people. When I am Happy, I have noticed that I am able to share Happiness with others to enlighten their day. This causes a chain reaction from one person to the next, until everyone becomes Happy. This is a very good thing. Studies have proven that in a Happy work environment people are able to get more work done. They are more courteous to each other and are more likely to come back to work because of the feelings they felt while they were working. In the long run, this causes an increase in the economy, a decrease in poverty levels, and a big Happy environment in the country, our community, and our personal social groups. I believe we all need to be Happy.

Friends have a dynamic influence on your life and the way you are going to live it. When you choose friends who are consistently Happy, who never argue with you, talk badly behind your back, or do anything to betray your trust, then you can live an ‘increasingly exciting’ life. If you pick friends who are ‘okay,’ you will not have the same opportunities that you would have had. I look up to my friends. I am Happy when they are Happy. I believe we all need Happy friends.

Happiness makes the world go round. Without this simple emotion, people would have no emotions–that world is something I do not want a part of. We all need Happiness. Without it, this world would be unbearable. Referring back to the statement, ‘a feeling of great pleasure’, this summarizes it all. This very simple emotion, which some people take for granted, gives people pleasure in what they are doing and gives them a reason to live. I cannot even imagine what it would feel like without an ounce of Happiness anywhere on this earth. That thought should give anyone nightmares.

I know for a fact, that if you stay strong, battle through your sadness and depression, and never give up, you can stand up and fight because you are truly Happy, and that is all that matters. I believe that happiness is everything.