Daniel - Traverse City, Michigan

I Laugh At Humor

It was my sophomore regional track meet and I was in the finals of the 110 meter high hurdles. I had been anticipating this race for three months. The gun went off and I felt like I was flying, this surely would be my fastest time all year. Then, on the third to last hurdle my foot did not go over but instead under the hurdle – just a slight problem. It happened faster than I can describe and ended with my face skidding along the track followed by my flailing body. At the time nothing about my fall was funny to me, although I am sure others found it humorous. I let the fact that I had fallen ruin my day.

Flash forward a year, it was the conference finals for track. Yet again I found myself in the finals of the 110 meter high hurdles. At the sound of the gun I started running and after three hurdles I again found my foot under the hurdle instead of over it – another minor problem. My face felt the familiar burn of the track while my body flipped over multiple times. After skidding a good five meters, I got up and finished the race feeling ridiculous as the rest of the field stood finished and watching. I felt all I could do was a laugh, and it made the situation better. I went back the tent and made a couple jokes about falling and it suddenly did not feel so bad. Humor had saved my day.

I believe in the power of humor to rescue me from life’s disasters. There is nothing that makes me feel better than laughing. I try not to take anything too seriously. I believe being serious all the time causes people to lose their sense of humor, without which they are unable to relax and laugh when they make a mistake. One of the great qualities that a person can have is a good sense of humor. It allows them to make any situation, which may have previously been impossible, suddenly seem bearable. That alone is enough reason for me to believe in and cultivate a sense of humor.

It took me a few tumbles over the hurdles to realize this, but I now view every situation as potentially hilarious. When I go to school every day I think it is funny that I ride in my mom’s red mini-van. If I did not, then self consciousness about my sweet ride would ruin my day. I believe people should laugh when something is funny. When people see me riding in my mom’s mini-van I hope they laugh and feel good about laughing. If they do, they are letting humor do its job, and making the world a better place.