Whitney - Orem, Utah

Our Imperfections Add To Who We Are.

Ears that stick out more than most peoples, two big front teeth, eyes that are almond shaped making them appear small and squinty, shape of face, and …my body. Five feet three inches. Long brown hair to cover who I see myself as. This is how I used to feel. Not comfortable with my body or who I am.

Not any more! After years of discovering who I am, I found that I believe in imperfections. They are what make us all unique.

I may be short, but it’s because of my amazing grandma. She sacrificed so much to be here today. She met my grandpa over in Korea after the war. She came to America and gave me the looks I have today. My eyes, because I am Korean, make me unique! My grandmother always tells me how beautiful my eyes are and tries to point it out to everyone she sees while we are together. I remember being judged at the pool one day because I looked different than the other kids. This made me feel so rejected, until one time while they were making fun of me I realized, it what makes me unique! My eyes are beautiful. Who really cares if my ears stick out a bit more than others- it adds personality!

Look at “Americas Next Top Model,” none of those girls are one hundred percent perfect! Each has a different challenge with their appearance. Bad teeth, long necks, flat chests and big ears, are a few attributes the judges see as flaws. But who ever said that these attributes are flaws is wrong. The ‘flaws’ are more character than anything. All these physical features just add to a person. Tyra Banks, the host, always tells them to work their flaws and make them a way to stand out to those who are going to be looking at them.

Look in the mirror, pick out “flaws”- And then learn to love them. It may take time, but it is time well spent! Each of these imperfections adds to a person in some way. While looking in the mirror I saw many different things I would change if I could wave my magic wand. After endless mornings looking in the mirror getting ready for the day I realized that these are all attributes not flaws. They attribute to my look and who I am.

Who woke up one morning and decided they must be perfect and that everyone else was wrong? Who told us what the ‘ideal’ body or person was supposed to look like? Who decided that I’m not perfect just the way that I am?

So what if my eyes are small and squinty? It’s my ethnicity that does this. I am Korean. My life cant be controlled by what I look like, I can only add to it. I can help myself become a better person because of my ‘flaws’! This is why I believe in imperfections. This I believe.