Vernan - Torrance, California

I believe that kids need to be kids and not worry so much about their future. The city I grew up in had many diverse backgrounds. In high school, there was a group of closely nit friends who did everything together. Other students referred to this group as the “Asians” due to their Japanese background.

The “Asians” spent countless days studying for tests at each others houses and working on projects together to get an “A” in each class. The Asians were pressured by their parents to get outstanding grades so they could be accepted to the best Universities, to get the best training, to get the best jobs, and live the best possible lives. The problem with all this was that my friends were not allowed to be kids. Instead of going out on the weekends and partying with other class mates, the Asians stayed at home. While I stayed out late on weekends with friends doing notorious things for my age, my Asian friends had to be home by nine and had to call home whenever they went somewhere to let their parents know where they were at all times. While my friends and I got to drunk to talk at a prom after party, my Asian friends were forced to go back home to prevent the ever so popular prom night pregnancy.

When we all came to college, our lives once again headed in different directions but this time theirs was the life of mayhem. After being enclosed in a bubble for most of their lives, the Asians were now enjoying the taste of freedom. However, this privilege was abused. The Asians began catching up on what they missed out in high school, however, it was in excess. Someone getting a DUI, others beginning to use hard drugs like speed, others drinking on weekdays while failing their classes and dropping out of college was not out of the norm for these students who could not control themselves in a responsible manner. The problem with this is that more than ever, a transition into adulthood was necessary to prepare ourselves for the real world.

The other road, one of responsibility and success seems to have been taken by students who took the balanced approach to life. I for example, did a few things in high school my parents would not approve of, but because of those mistakes, I now know what is important. I am currently receiving over a 3.5 GPA and will be graduating form SDSU in 4 years, an accomplishment many at my college seem to marvel at.

This type of story is not only common to Asian students, but to college students of all ethnicities throughout the U.S. I credit the Asians and many other young Americans irrational college behavior to an excess in protectionism and too much commitment to their future at too young an age. Yes, this I why believe kids need to be kids and not worry so much about their future.